Jonah Hughes: Embracing Materials Science and Engineering at NC State

As Jonah Hughes, a senior at North Carolina State University’s Department of Materials Science and Engineering (MSE), prepares to graduate, his journey reflects a fortunate shift in academic focus and a deep passion for understanding the intricate properties of materials.

Originally from Ashburn, Virginia, Jonah’s path at NC State took an unexpected turn. “I arrived at NC State fully intending to major in Biomedical Engineering,” Jonah explains, “however, I quickly changed my mind after I began taking MSE 201 with Professor Thom LaBean.” This introductory course opened Jonah’s eyes to the myriad applications and fundamental insights offered by MSE. “It’s such an interesting field because of how it explains why things function the way they do,” he remarks. Jonah was fascinated to learn that imperfections and defects in materials often contribute to their unique properties.

Reflecting on his time in MSE, Jonah highlights the significance of lab courses in shaping his academic experience. “Surprisingly, both of the lab courses ended up being some of the most important and interesting classes I have taken at NC State,” he recalls. Despite the challenges posed by rigorous lab reports, these courses provided invaluable hands-on experience with industry-standard machinery and spectroscopy equipment, preparing Jonah for real-world applications in materials science.

Among his favorite classes, Jonah singles out Professor Franky So‘s Microelectronic Materials course as particularly influential. “His class ignited my interest in semiconductor manufacturing and metal deposition processes,” Jonah shares, noting that this course guided him toward his future career in the semiconductor industry.

“I am planning to incorporate MSE into my future life in multiple ways! I am getting a job in the semiconductor field that will utilize a lot of the knowledge that I gained from my MSE classes as a student at NC State.”  

Jonah Hughes

Throughout his academic journey, Jonah credits Hillary Stone, his advisor, as instrumental in navigating his course schedules and academic decisions. “Hillary Stone is the best advisor at NC State,” Jonah affirms, highlighting her role in optimizing his academic path.

Looking ahead, Jonah plans to integrate MSE into various facets of his life. “I am getting a job in the semiconductor field that will utilize a lot of the knowledge that I gained from my MSE classes,” he explains. Beyond his professional pursuits, Jonah intends to explore MSE-related hobbies like forging, leveraging his understanding of metallic properties and processes.

One of Jonah’s proudest moments at NC State was presenting his research on organic solar cells at the Summer NC State REU Symposium. Conducted in Dr. So’s research lab, this project focused on optimizing semi-transparent organic solar cells, showcasing Jonah’s dedication to applied research in MSE.

When asked about his favorite aspect of MSE, Jonah highlights the Hunt Library as a standout feature of his NC State experience. “Hunt Library is the nicest library I have ever been in,” he enthuses, emphasizing its role as a versatile study space and a picturesque spot to witness stunning sunsets over Lake Raleigh.

Among Jonah’s cherished memories is the camaraderie forged through extracurricular activities. “One of my favorite memories at NC State was when my friends and I put together an MSE intramural soccer team,” he recalls. This experience exemplified the sense of community and teamwork that defined Jonah’s college years.

As Jonah embarks on the next chapter of his post-graduation journey, his passion for MSE and the friendships forged at NC State will continue to shape his endeavors, professionally and personally. With a solid foundation in materials science and engineering, Jonah is poised to make a meaningful impact in his chosen field and beyond.